The Safety Familiarisation Training teaches learners the basic skills they need before going to sea to familiarise themselves with what can be expected. Topics like muster stations, principal parts of a vessel emergencies signs, rope work and life jackets are but a few of the things covered in this course.
- Communicate with other persons on board on elementary safety matters
- Understand safety information symbols and alarm signals
- Take appropriate action
- Identify muster and embarkation stations and the emergency escape routes
- Locate and don life jackets and life buoys
- Understand basic fire fighting procedures
- Operate portable fire extinguishers
- Use fire blankets
Competence will be evaluated on continuous assessment and on completion of this module of the course, learners will be issued with a certificate of competence. Learners are requested to bring along their ID or Passport and a black pen on day one of the course.